Who has time for mindfulness every day?! Well, now you can do it while doing household chores.
Washing dishes, folding laundry, or packing the dishwasher are often tasks that we want to rush through just to get it done, but let’s be honest - whether we feel stressed, rushed, and pressed for time or whether we are relaxed while getting the job done…it’s probably going to take pretty much the same time so we might as well utilize the time to practice mindfulness as well.
1. Pay attention to your senses: Notice the sensation of the warm water on your hands or the sound of the clothes rustling as you fold them. It sounds silly, but it helps us to forget about other things and to be present in the moment.
2. Focus on your breathing: Take deep breaths and focus on the sensation of each inhale and exhale. This can help you to calm your mind and reduce stress.
3. Practice gratitude: Express gratitude for the objects you're handling and the role they play in your life, such as a warm and cozy blanket or a well-loved cup.
4. Use intention: Set an intention for your task, such as to bring order to your home or to show care for yourself and your belongings. Yes, you are doing things that need to be done, but if we change our mindset slightly, we are working towards a goal and that creates a wonderful sense of accomplishment.
5. Be present: Instead of allowing your mind to wander, try to stay focused on the task at hand.
By practicing mindfulness during these routine tasks, you can turn them into opportunities for relaxation and stress reduction, and find peace and contentment in the present moment.
Featured video guide
Watch the full video guide in the Tracto app
Our video guides are created by experts in the field of neurodiversity and include parent-led strategies that improve communication skills, coping skills, independence, challenging behaviors, and many more.
How to use Tracto
How can Tracto help me with this?
How convenient! Now you can practice mindfulness while you are doing chores that you need to do in any case :) Make a note in your journal of how you feel after these activities. It would be great to look back and see which ones meant the most to you!
Get the FREE Tracto app to access our expert-designed tools such as tracking, journaling, routine reminders, and more video guides.